Tuesday, May 18, 2010

URIAH HEEP: "Gypsy", "July Morning", "Traveller In Time", "Easy Livin'", "Look at Yourself"



(left to right) drummer Lee Kerslake, and bassist Gary Thain




For this posting for the music selection ... it has to be "Uriah Heep", and past due for that matter. This group had to be one of the first groups that drove my love for rock music. I heard them first probably 1970 or so .... went to see them "live" around 1972/1973 first in New York City, and they just blew me away with their powerful "live" sound and performance back then .... so much that I seen them a few more time's by 1976 or so, catching tour's in Toronto (Ont), Buffalo (NY), as well as Houston (TX).

The line up of band member's back then were just a chemistry that had an excellent composition .... and a sound that wedged it's way right to the bone "live", a real powerhouse, a true rock orchestra. Unfortunately vocalist David Byron died as well as bass guitarist Gary Thain long ago. The band's sound took a different direction of sort, even though guitarist Mick Box who was also a founder and composer of it's sound ... is I reckon the only one left of the original member's, that kept it going up into the present. After Byron left around 1976 ...it just didnt seem the same, and I didnt really keep up with their new line up. Also I may add, David Byron had such an impact on me as far as vocals as a kid, I loved to cover Uriah Heep songs when I was young, and loved the energy of their music. As a teenager for example, and post teen years, I was very comfortable with David's vocals and this crew's work, as far as my choices of stuff I liked to cover. Also, Gary Thain is who blew me away as a kid and my love for bass guitar, with his explosive bass rolls throughout their songs, that were just so deep, dark, and thunderous. Enjoy!




Uriah Heep- Gypsy- Live 1973.flv ... Thanx to HorsemanNL





Uriah Heep July Morning 1975 ... Thanx to Aspettando Godot





Uriah Heep- Traveller In Time & Easy Livin' ... Thanx to mlbloverock





Uriah Heep- Look At Yourself 1972 (Original MV Stereo) ... Thanx to smitti pocharoen





****************************************************************************

Image result for uriah heep vintage concert poster    Related image

****************************************************************************

No comments: