Saturday, March 17, 2012

CHARLESTON with Django Reinhardt ... also featuring: Paul Whiteman and His Orchestra ... (For Thora & Millie)


This induction into the "RCJ MUSIC/ ART'S HONOUR ROLL SOCIETY" will be to take a look at the great music and dance of the "Roaring 20's" era. Of course Django Reinhardt is a favourite as well, so I also wanted to highlight his cover version of that great classic piece of music, the "Charleston" ! ... as well in the first video starting with Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra. Also I want to add, Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi was heavily influenced by Django Reinhardt, as well as Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page . Even though as I have posted my first record's (45 RPM's) that I ever owned as a kid and music inspiration were "James Brown" record's ... my actual first hunger for music had to come from as a kid hearing music like this, and what outstanding jazz came out of the era! ... I think the dancing really kept them in shape physically no doubt in them dayz. I also wanted to dedicate this to Thora my grandma and her sister Millie, who I was pretty close to as a kid, and this was their music for dance and party type stuff.

It must have been a really great era in American history too! I also inherited a personal hard cover diary from their young year's I still have and read to this day, that was wrote back when they were young (way before I was even born) ... and reading about life for these gal's back then was really something ... especially their fun filled lives, boyfriend's/ date's ... the parties, speakeasy's, poker game's, fashion's, etc ... I mean a person today may wonder how much fun could a world be without the tele's/ satellite radio/ I-tunes, computer's, and digitally enhanced music and visual's, etc? But obviously from their writing's/ diaries ... they had a blast! One thing that really surprised me was how liberated women of that era were ... I mean, I hear of the feminist's movement of today ... but women like Thora and Millie were really liberated young ladies in their day and their girlfriend's ... some of the thing's I read about in their diaries made me realize just how liberated in thought women of that era were too.

.... and HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!




Paul Whiteman and His Orchestra- Charleston 1925 ... Thanx to Mikurio





Charleston- Django Reinhardt ... Thanx to IRRRIS1I3NT






****************************************************************************

No comments: